How to Get Pee Out of a Mattress
Accidents happen. This means that you could end up with pee in your mattress. This happens a lot when children are potty training, and pets can leave these stains too. It can occur at other times as well. It’s important to get the pee out of your mattress so that it doesn’t leave any odor. Plus, this will stop your mattress from feeling gross. You can get both old and new stains out of a mattress. With the help of Mattress by Appointment, one of the best mattress stores in Bismarck, North Dakota, we will tell you everything you need to know about getting pee out of your mattress.
The first thing to understand is what causes the odor and bacteria you are trying to remove. According to Cleanipedia, all kinds of urine contain crystals of uric acid. These crystals are to blame for the odor and bacteria. An enzyme-based cleaner that targets the uric acid is the best option. This is the most effective way to get rid of odor and bacteria.
What Are the Best Products for Getting Pee Out of a Mattress?
Luckily, there are plenty of products available that can help with this. You should choose a product that targets urine. There are pet urine products that can work for both human and pet urine. These work well because they are enzyme-based.
Choosing the correct type of product increases the chances of it working properly. Don’t waste your time by using the wrong product. An all-purpose cleaner, soap, or laundry soap won’t do the trick.
When you use these products, make sure you follow the directions. This help to ensure that they will do their job. Another tip is to use them on a small area of the mattress first. If it damages your mattress, you want to make sure the whole mattress isn’t ruined.
To help you get started, here are two of the best products to try:
- Clorox Urine Remover for Stains and Odors: This one helps to remove both stains and odors. It works on all types of urine stains so it’s a good one to have around.
- TriNova Natural Pet Stain and Odor Remover: This is a nice alternative if you’re looking for a natural product. This one is formulated for pet stains but should be effective for all types of urine.
How to Get Fresh Pee Out of a Mattress
For best results, you should treat the pee stains as soon as possible. The stains and odors can set in if you don’t get to work.
- Blot any urine with a paper towel or cloth. Rubbing the spot will make the urine go deeper into the mattress. This will make the stain worse.
- Pour some baking soda on the spot. This will help to absorb more moisture.
- Spray the stain with your cleaning solution. Use as specified on the package. If possible, let it sit for a few minutes.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2.
- Vacuum the baking soda. Allow the mattress to air out to prevent lasting odor.
How to Get Set-in Pee Out of a Mattress
You may not have noticed a stain right away. Maybe you were busy and didn’t have a chance to clean it. This means that the pee could have soaked into your mattress. According to Tuft & Needle, this requires more work. Still, you should be able to remove the stain. If it doesn’t work the first time, feel free to repeat the steps.
- In a spray bottle, mix 8 ounces of hydrogen peroxide, 3 drops of dish soap, and 3 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Spray this solution over any stains on the mattress. It’s okay to go heavy with it.
- Allow it to set in until the baking soda residue appears.
- Vacuum the baking soda residue.
Can Professional Services Get Pee Out of a Mattress?
You may not want to deal with this on your own. Maybe you want a deeper clean. You can get help from mobile cleaning companies. According to Nest Bedding, Stanley Steamer may offer this. Give them a call and see if they can handle this task. It will depend on the company.
You may want to choose a company that offers natural cleaning supplies. This is safer for you, especially because you will be sleeping on the mattress every night.
You could try getting the spot out on your own and then hire a professional if needed. If it’s a pretty bad spot, you can hire a professional first.
How to Prevent Pee in a Mattress in the Future
There’s a chance that you could get pee in your mattress again. Luckily, there are ways to stop pee from getting in your mattress. If you have a child or pet that may pee on the mattress more than once, you should invest in a waterproof mattress pad. Waterproof mattress pads go between the sheets and the mattress. Instead of the pee getting in your mattress, it gets on the pad or cover.
These are very affordable and can save you some effort. They make it much easier to clean up these messes. Plus, they’re nice if you spill anything else in bed too. The SafeRest Full Size Waterproof Mattress Protector is a great option. There are other good choices on Amazon as well.
If you have pee in your mattress, don’t panic. There are effective ways to get it out. If possible, treat the spot as quickly as possible. This will give you the best results. You should still be able to get it out if it has soaked in though. One of the best tips is to prevent pee from getting in the mattress in the first place. Try a mattress pad or protector if this is a risk.