How Much Is It to Replace a Window?
Window replacements are a part of owning a house. Eventually, it will be time to buy your home new windows. You might also need new windows if they get broken. One of the first concerns people have when it comes to window replacement is the cost. It’s important to know about replacing windows so you know what to expect. EnerPro Window Replacement of Denver, which does window installation in Denver, has detailed the most important things to know.
Why Should You Replace Your Windows?
There are a few reasons why people commonly replace their windows. These reasons include:
- If you have older windows that aren’t as sturdy. New windows sometimes have stronger glass. You can also find windows that have steel locks for added protection.
- Increasing value. According to Remodeling magazine, you will get 70-74% of the cost of the windows back if you sell your home.
- Broken windows. Accidents happen and you may need to replace a broken window. This could also be because of extreme changes in weather.
Factors That Influence the Cost of Window Replacements
The price can range greatly depending on a few factors. All windows are different. It’s important to consider your windows or the windows you’re wanting to install. These factors influence the cost of the replacement:
- Different frame materials have different costs. Wood tends to be more expensive than vinyl. The type of frame you want can influence the cost.
- Thicker glass provides you with extra security and insulation. As expected, these tend to cost a little more money because you’re getting more from them. Thinner, less sturdy glass is less expensive.
- As expected, larger windows cost more to replace. If you have several large windows to replace, be prepared to have a higher total cost.
- If you install the windows yourself, they will likely cost less. If something goes wrong, those savings might decrease. Different professionals charge their own rates.
How Much Is It to Replace a Window?
According to Angie’s List, it costs $450 to $600 to replace a vinyl window. Wood replacement windows can cost $800 to $1,000. This cost is per window. Remember that there are many factors that influence this total.
It’s a good idea to get a few free estimates from professionals in your area. They may need to take measurements to give you a quote. These estimates allow you to prepare for the window replacements.
Though this may seem like an expensive change to make to your home, it’s worth it. If possible, you may want to wait and save up for sturdier windows. This is a good investment and adds to the value of your home. If it’s urgent, you should choose the replacement that works for your budget.
What to Keep in Mind as You Select Replacement Windows
There are a few things to consider as you shop for new windows. Keeping these things in mind will help you to save money and make the best choice.
First, look at energy-efficient windows. These will save you money by improving your home’s air circulation. You will be able to reduce your heating and cooling costs.
Next, find a window that meets your needs. A common concern is durability. You may also want to look for windows that are easy to clean or don’t need maintenance. Consider what’s important to you as you search for the right windows.
Then, look for a warranty. It’s nice to know that you have the protection you need if something goes wrong. Some manufacturers offer warranties on their windows.
Finally, make sure you’re choosing the right size. If you hire a professional, they will handle this. You should try to avoid premade windows that might not fit correctly.
How Long Do Window Installations Take?
Fortunately, window installations are quick. According to WindowWorld, this typically takes 30 minutes. This can vary by the type of window and how large it is.
Not all window installations are simple though. Some may take longer due to unique shapes or sizes. This is especially true if you need to have custom windows made.
Do You Need to Replace Window Frames?
In some cases, you may need to replace the window frames too. This is especially necessary if they are rotting. They might also be cracking or showing other wear.
If you have vinyl frames, they are probably in decent shape. They are durable and easy to clean, which allows them to last longer. Wooden frames show wear and rot more easily. If your wooden frames need to be replaced, you will have to pay more.
A lot of different factors go into the cost of your window replacements. In most cases, the cost will be anywhere from $450 to $1,000 per window. This depends on the type of window, size, frame, glass, and more. The cost also varies by area and the professional you choose to replace the windows.