How Much Should You Tip Movers?
Moving is not the most fun things to do in the world. It can be a roller coaster of emotions. Excitement and worry are a few emotions to take note of, not to mention the work involved. That is where professional movers come in to handle a lot of the workload. They are such a great choice. How much should they be tipped though?
The First Consideration Is the Price
When hiring movers, the first thing to consider is the price. It is important to have that amount ready to pay outside of any tips. Consider the tip in addition to this price.
Most movers are hired by the hour. The amount of stuff that one will need to have moved determines how much the cost of the movers will be. We Like to Move It, Move It!!, my local expert Lynnwood movers, notes that to reduce the cost of hiring movers, it is important to consider what you want moved and when. Check out some of the tips below.
Some tips to lower the price when hiring movers:
- Only have things moved that you will want to keep.
- Be less particular about the time that you want to have the items picked up and delivered.
- Ask questions about extra costs.
- Move during the offseason of moving.
You can find more tips on when is the best time to move at Moving.com.
Then There Is the Tip
Now that you know what the price will be for the actual service of the movers, you can now consider what the tip will be. There are some things to consider when you go to tip a mover. While the actual price of the mover is a set price, the tip is not. Take note of some reasons to tip a mover well.
Reasons to tip movers:
- The movers did their best to arrive on time.
- The movers did their best to deliver the items on time. (Do note that it is important to be lenient on the times due to traffic and other uncontrollable issues. However, they should do their best to arrive and deliver on time.)
- Rate the movers according to how they did the job. Movers should be really respectful of the items that they are moving. Some things cannot be replaced with money.
- Consider what is being moved. Is there a lot of stuff? Are the movers moving large items or cumbersome ones? That deserves a good tip, especially if they did so with no complaints.
How Much Should the Tip Be?
This can be a hard question. If a mover has done a good job and respected the things they are moving, they certainly should be given a tip. The question is how much. There is no hard and fast answer, but there are some dos and don’ts to consider when tipping.
The usual recommended amount is between 5 and 20% of the movers’ price. You can decide for yourself how much you want to pay within this range based on the quality of the movers’ work, the amount of time they took and how many movers there are.
The number of movers will greatly impact the amount you should tip. It is best to split the tip up into individual amounts for each mover, to save them the awkwardness of having to divide it up among themselves.
Sometimes people cannot afford to give a tip. That is understandable. However, if there is money in the budget to give a tip, then it is appreciated. Never tip a mover that has done a horrible job. If the mover is putting in their best, then by all means give the best tip you can.
Do not tip by providing alcohol. The movers may not be drinkers. Another important thing to consider is that the movers may have more work to do after moving your items and would not be able to drink the alcohol at your house.
It is always good to have water on hand for the movers. Although it does not take the place of a tip, it is a very hospitable and considerate thing to do.
Hopefully now that you have read all the above information you will have a better understanding on what to tip a mover. If you are interested, you can check out this YouTube video for more information. Happy moving!